Good morning/afternoon/evening everybody,
I am ________________ contest master for Evaluations Contest. I welcome you all once again.
The purpose of an Evaluation is to motivate the speaker to continually improve, by providing reinforcement for their strengths and gently offering useful advice. Evaluation speech contests provide opportunity for speakers to improve their evaluation skills and to recognize the best as encouragement to all.
The __first and/or second_____ winners will represent our _Club/Area/Division in the Area/Division/District level Contest to be held on dd/mm/yy at (location, time) ___________________________________.
For this contest, we have ___ contestants. I am sure the audience is going to have some thrilling time listening to some magnificent speech evaluations.
Let me set the rules for the contest.
1. I request the audience to maintain absolute silence, and no movement during the progress of speech. I once again request ever one to please check and switch your mobile phones, or put them in silent mode.
2. I request all contestants to handover their mobile phones to the Sergeant at Arms. You may collect this after the contest is over.
3. No flash photography or recording will be allowed while the contestants are giving their speech. A chance will be given to take photograph during contestant interview.
4. Once the Contest starts, no one will be allowed to leave the room till the end of last contestant.
5. Sgt @ arms, once the contestant is on stage, no one will be allowed to come inside the room.
6.The speaking area for the contestants will be …
6.The speaking area for the contestants will be …
7. The time allotted for each contestant to present their evaluation is 2-to-3 minutes. Any contestants who speak less than 1 min 30 sec and beyond 3 min and 30 sec will be disqualified.
The timing device is right in front, and I would request timer to operate the device as I read out the timing signal rules. Green at 2 min, Amber at 2 min 30 secs, and Red at 3 min. Please note that the red signal will be up till the speaker completes his/her speech. No signal will be given to intimate the exceeding of time limit.
8. Any disqualification with respect to time will be notified at the end of contest, and no names will be announced for the disqualified contestant.
9. Protests can only be raised by either contestants or judges to Chief Judge to Contest Chair prior to the results declaration.
10. Judges decision is final.
11. It is customary that only when the contest master is recognized by the contestant, will he be allowed to sit. Please do recognize me as Contest Master.
12. One minute silence will be given for judges to mark their ballot. And 2 minutes silence will be given after the last speaker for judges to tally their ballots.
13. The contestant speaking order has already been chosen. For benefit of Judges, Role players and audience, I will now read out the speaking order of contestants.
Instruction to Contest Master: Read speaking order and say each contestant’s name the same way and very clearly. Be sure to pause after each to provide audience time to mark program (or better yet, you can read each contestant’s name twice)
14. Sergeant-at-Arms, are you ready?! Chief Judge, are all the judges briefed?
15. It is time to begin the contests. Ladies & Gentlemen, please help me welcome our test speaker.
<< Introduce the Test Speaker with the Name, speech title, speech title, Name. Do not give any additional information about the Test Speaker)
Name: _________________________________ Title: __________________________________
Title: __________________________________ Name: _________________________________
Test speaker delivers a 5 – 7 minutes speech
Thank you TM _________________________.
<< do not comment anything else about the test speaker / speech>>
Let us give 5 minutes for the contestants to complete their preparation. Timer, please indicate to me when five minutes have elapsed. I request the audience to maintain absolute silence.
<<< After 5 minutes>>>
Sergeant-at-Arms, please collect the notes from the contestants and escort all the contestants out of the room. The notes shall be given to the contestant only when he/she enters the hall.
Sgt @ arms, are the doors secured? Shall we begin the contest?
Ladies and gentlemen, the Evaluations contest shall begin.
Instruction to Contest Master: Follow this exact same format for all the contestants. For ex., you’ll have to say “Contestant #1, David John, David John, Contestant #1”
Contestant # _____ TM ____________________________
TM_____________________________ Contestant # ______
<<< After all the contestants have delivered their speech …. >>
Let us give 2 minutes for the judges to mark their ballots. Timer, please indicate to me when 2 minutes have elapsed.
Audience… Please remain silent until the judges have completed their ballots, and the tally counters have left the room with the ballots.
<<< After 2 minutes have elapsed …. >>
Fellow toastmasters, thank you for your patience!
We shall now begin Contestant Interviews.
<< Call each contestant up and award certificate of participation. Ask each contestant the name of their club and how long they have been a Toastmaster. Ask one or two questions to each contestant based on the available time. DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SPEECH. ASK questions only from the bio data form filled by the speaker>>