It was a Saturday evening ... you are at home, lying on the couch, watching your favorite TV channel. You receive a call from your boss. You are wondering "Why is this guy calling me over a weekend?" You let the phone to ring for a while and it goes to your voice mail.
You are in an important meeting... You receive a phone call on your mobile from your spouse. Boom... press a "cancel" button and it goes to your voice mail.
You are a lazy person. You rarely charge your mobile phone. Any call that you receive... Zoom... it goes straight to your voice mailbox.
It is easy to avoid a problem or person, by letting a call to go to your voice mail box. What if you were the person who is making the call? How'll you handle situations requiring you to leave an effective voice mail? Well, in our table topics today, we are going to rehearse just that.
1) What if you were that boss, who have to leave a voice mail to ask your employee to come to work over a weekend? What will be the content of your voice mail?
2) You were dating someone and you met another person who is more interesting and exciting. You want to break-up with your old girl/boy friend. You call them to let them know that it is not working out. The call goes to voice mailbox. What will be the content of your voice mail?
3) You promised your wife that you'd take her for a movie tonight. Of late, you've been breaking several promises that you made to your wife. Your wife is not very happy about that. When you were about to leave office, your boss stops you and says "XYZ, I've an important business presentation tomorrow. I need to discuss a few things with you. Can you spare a few hours for me this evening?" You call your wife to let her know. It goes to the voice mail. What will be the content of your voice mail?
4) Imagine that you were living with your friend. Your friend was not at home. You took your friend's brand new BMW for shopping - without letting him know. On the way back to home, you bumped your friend's BMW into another vehicle. You are calling your friend to let him know about the accident. However, it goes to his voice mail. What will be the content of your voice mail?
5) Which is the most memorable voice mail that you left?
6) Which is the most memorable voice mail that you got?
Voicemail has now become one of the mediums of communication. However, when we make phone calls we are normally not prepared to leave voice mail. The result is - we loose business; we strain relationships. So, the next time you make a call, decide what will be the message if it goes to the voice mail box.